Sunday, January 11, 2015

Taking it to a New Level of Nerdiness

So, once I committed to my challenge, my mind went into overdrive.  I knew this challenge was the right thing to do because I kept thinking about it and kept cornering J to talk about it.  (He listened courteously and then went about his life.)

    This writing idea is so exciting to me and here are a few of the reasons why:

  1. I teach English.  Every day, I am asking kids to challenge themselves by trying something new that requires actual effort.  I am not always in that same position.  Blogging will force me to get out of my comfort zone, actually study experts to identify strategies I enjoy as a reader, and really push myself to not only take the risk of “publishing” but also to be an independent learner.  

  1. It forces me to be introspective - and to journal.  So much of my life in the past four years has been lived in a haze.  I am sleep deprived and so focused on the practical aspects of my life that much of the thinking I used to do has been drowned out in the noise of daily living.  Also, because blogging is public, it forces me to save my more personal writing for my journal (which has been collecting dust).  It’s as if the writing begets writing.  Writing in a more public forum reminds me that there are things I do want to write about for myself - privately.

  1. It gives me real purpose for reading the bloggers I like.  I am inspired by a small handful of bloggers who write lifestyle blogs about simple living, seeing the positives in life and motherhood/parenting.  Lately, their blogs have been piling up in my inbox because of the realities of life.  Now, though, I have two purposes for reading their blog: 1) to enjoy their content and not feel guilty 2) to see how they do it!  I get to hear what they’re writing about and I get to immerse myself in their style, tone and perspective.  I can study how they make their point and how they can make their one perspective so accessible and thought-provoking.  

  1. I have not challenged myself to really grow mentally.  Part of our family mission is to encourage each other to grow mentally, spiritually and emotionally.  I have tried doing that by joining Junior League and taking up various hobbies.  Those things have now become very comfortable parts of my life.    This writing challenge really challenges me, though.  Publishing adds an extra bit of accountability and scariness since my work will be “out there” for people to see.  Because I care so much about what others think, publishing is a real risk and requires that I grow emotionally or psychologically (?) so I can deal with whatever insecurity I feel when I publish. 

  1. I know from my own experience, research and teaching that the more you practice something, the better you get.  Although my posts may be pretty terrible, my hope is to improve as I find my voice and perspective.  I am going to learn by doing - and by continuing to immerse myself in work by “experts.”  And I like getting better at something.  Hopefully my attempts will help me to get better at writing!

So there it is. In every spare moment alone in the car or walking from my classroom to the office, that’s what I’ve been thinking about.  I cram these thoughts into the little tiny spaces I have to think.  And it’s been fun!

3 comments:

  1. Hey! One thing that will help is keeping a list when something comes in your head. I have a list in my notes titled " blog posts" half of the things don't get written about but it's a nice list to have. I have been writing my blog for 7 years. I think of it as a gift to my family. There's this permanent document of our lives and anyone who chooses to read it ( family and beyond) will know me and what I'm about. It's very cool and I bet therewl be more than one per month:) have fun with it! Jen Russell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen! I have started my list! Thanks for the advice.

      I also spent a bunch of time reading your blog last night. Good stuff!

      Delete